Wed, Jan 17|
6-Week (Wednesdays) Winter Woodcut Printmaking Workshop
A 6-week relief printmaking course in carving and hand-printing wood blocks with non-toxic inks.
Time & Location
Jan 17, 2024, 6:30 PM – Feb 21, 2024, 9:30 PM
Philadelphia, 127 E Phil Ellena St, Philadelphia, PA 19119, USA
About the class
Wednesdays 6:30 - 9:30pm
January 17 - February 21
Learn and advance your skills in carving a relief matrix, inking the block and printing on various substrates. We will explore carving, inking and printing techniques to obtain a range of textures, depth and contrast to create strong visual statements in your artworks. We will examine the conventional and contemporary practice of these techniques, to gain an understanding of how these tools can be applied in the expanded field of printmaking. We will consider how the medium and techniques utilized can serve the content of your work.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- To identify the difference between woodcut and other printmaking processes
- To carve wood blocks safely using different techniques of mark-making
- To ink your blocks in conventional and unconventional methods
- To print your wood blocks by hand
- To know the reasons for choosing your blocks and papers and the outcomes to expect
- To gain an understanding of the role of woodcut printmaking in historical and contemporary contexts
This is a six-week workshop held in a non-toxic, cat-friendly home studio. Masks are optional.
TUITION ASSISTANCE: Interested in a workshop but out of your budget? Submit this form for full and partial tuition assistance: https://forms.gle/y5RFdjCcUJRDHgax9
Enrollment$250.00+$6.25 service fee