Wed, Sep 06|
Non-Toxic Woodcut Printmaking
A 10-week relief printmaking course in carving and hand-printing wood blocks!
Time & Location
Sep 06, 6:30 PM – Nov 08, 9:30 PM
Philadelphia, 127 E Phil Ellena St, Philadelphia, PA 19119, USA
About the class
Wednesdays 6:30 - 9:30pm
September 6 - November 8
This course will provide an introduction to woodcut printmaking. Fundamental relief techniques will introduce you to the tools and methods needed to allow you to carve and print from your own relief woodblocks. We will explore carving, inking and hand-printing techniques to obtain a range of textures, depth and contrast to create strong visual statements in your artwork. We will examine the conventional and contemporary practice of these techniques, to gain an understanding of how these tools can be applied in the expanded field of printmaking. We will consider how the medium and techniques utilized can serve the content of your work.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- To identify the difference between woodcut and other printmaking processes
- To carve wood blocks safely using different techniques of mark-making
- To ink your blocks in conventional and unconventional methods
- To print your wood blocks by hand
- To know the reasons for choosing your blocks and papers and the outcomes to expect
- To gain an understanding of the role of woodcut printmaking in historical and contemporary contexts
This is a 10 week workshop held in a cat-friendly home studio. Masks are optional.
TUITION ASSISTANCE: Interested in a workshop but out of your budget? Submit this form for full and partial tuition assistance: https://forms.gle/y5RFdjCcUJRDHgax9
+$10.00 service fee
+$10.00 service fee0